Friday, April 11, 2014

Who Am I?

... But what they didn't say includes a list of "side-effects" that ends up sounding like a prescription medication comercial.  And as Alex Kuykendall pointed out (via MOPs video), some of those surprising byproducts leave you feeling all warm and fuzzy, while the others make you want to "go potty" simply so you can have five minutes of (relative) peace.

It's so easy to define ourselves by cultural standards, and even the standards we place on ourselves.  Many women find their identity in their job or their DIY-filled, Pinterest perfect home.  Others define their worth by their outward appearance or how many "likes" their child's photo received on Instagram, or even how many children they have.  And while taking pride in your cooking skills or how many to-do list items you checked off isn't inherently bad, hinging our significance on accomplishments or material possessions or relationships with other imperfect people will eventually leave us feeling empty and lost.


Comparison kills contentment, and creates fears that tell us we're not doing it right.  But a mama's greatest weapon doesn't lie within herself, it lies within the One who created her.  Raising children in this day and age is one of the toughest, scariest battles of all time and the enemy wants nothing more than to watch us fail.  But we have the mighty King of heaven's armies in our corner, smiling and offering an "atta girl" at just the right time.  That's enough to make me wanna pull up my bootstraps and keep on keepin' on, no matter what anyone else thinks of me.

So what did Alex do when she woke up one day wondering where her kids stopped and she began?  She turned to God and his Word.  

She said, "God determined my worth with his gift of grace.  All I have to do is accept it.  I feel like I'm not enough, but God tells me I wasn't created to do it all - He's already done it.  I feel out of shape, but God tells me I'm his perfect masterpiece (Ephesians 2:10)."  

A few months ago, I read a blog post by Bart Millard (from the band Mercy Me) where he cited an extensive list of personal attributes, according to God.  I won't copy/paste every one of them here, but I urge you to click HERE and bookmark it, or Pin it, or write them on Post-it notes and stick them to your mirror.  You'll be encouraged... you'll stand a little taller... you'll face the day with a new resolve. 

Because you're a daughter of the Creator of the universe, and everything else pales in comparison to His love for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment