Tuesday, October 14, 2014

I AM MOM! By Megan Ostlind



Jenny Dean Schmidt hit the nail on the head when she said media and society have put a lot of "false lights" in the spotlight. The image of motherhood has gone from one of significance to an image of boring and useless. Well, I and Jenny Dean Schmidt vehemently disagree. As Jenny said, society is so blinded by who they hold in roles of importance that they miss the significance of mothers raising the next generation. The real issue is not that society is like this, but that moms look for their self-worth through society and the media.

As a mom who most of my interaction with the outside world is achieved via internet, I know how easy and heartbreaking it is to get caught up in what I "should" be. I SHOULD be a size 2. I SHOULD be a working mom. I SHOULD go back to school. But I'm not any of those things because they don't work for me. Then I thought, who's picture would I be fitting into if I did all these things? If I had done what society says to do when you find out about a surprise pregnancy at 19, I would not be a mother. Society says that motherhood isn't worth it at 19, that there's no way I'd be a good mother. Well, I'm glad my God is bigger than society, and I'm glad he instilled a desire for mothering in me when I was young. So, when most 19 year olds think an unplanned baby is a travesty, I knew she was a blessing. (...children are a gift from the Lord... Psalm 127:3)
Motherhood is not the good for nothing job society makes it out to be. No, God made women to bear and raise children for a reason. Nothing society says or does can negate that. I especially loved how Jenny put it: "the world would fall apart without moms!" How true is that?! What we do as moms is so significant and so worthwhile.

Our God, the Creator of the universe, the Maker of all things good, made you a mom. He knew what He was doing when He gave you your child(ren). Regardless of what society says, I believe God thinks our jobs are so very important. He chose us, He entrusted us with the future.

"...see, I have you inscribed on the palms of My hands..." Isaiah 49:16. THAT'S how important you are and that's where you find your self-worth.


I want to thank all you lovely ladies for taking the time to read my very first blog post! I was so nervous for a week about this and I want to thank you for letting me open my heart to you. For those of you who don't know me, I'm (I think) the youngest mom in MOPS. I'm a whopping 21 years old, married to my best friend, Ben, and mother to our beautiful 16 month old, Catalia (ask me about the name in person if you're interested). I've lived in Modesto and attended BVG for about two and a half years. My interests include writing, instagram, and Batman. I also love to read but I can't even find the time to read my emails! Anyway, I might not have many years on me, but I do have quite a few ridiculous life experiences. I'm an open book and I love to chat!

1 comment: