Saturday, February 10, 2018

Cover Girl!


When I heard Fashion was the topic for last week's MOPS I was so super pumped I even wore a hat and shoes with a heal.

I love all the clothes, literally all the styles and all the looks. I am a greeter at my church and I spend Sunday morning saying...."Wow you look great", "nice shirt", "great skirt", "love your shoes"...sometimes I say people smell good too, but that freaks them out, HA!

When I was a 20 something single gal I got accepted in to FIDM (Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising). I never went because it was like 20 g a year, but I dreamed of being a fashion designer as a child. I would only play Barbies to dress them in different outfits, and of course Barbie Fashion Plates were the raddest! My favorite outfit was my unicorn sweater, jean ruffle skirt, and pink cowboy boots. So cool!

 As an adult I have a hard time dressing myself. I am drawn to all the colors and all the prints, my closet basically looks like a clown threw up in there. I shop mostly Target clearance and Thrift stores so that doesn't make it any easier.

When Kim Nowland walked on the stage in her leopard print pants and amazing statement necklace I knew everything she said would be fashionably on point. I was surprised when what really sunk in to the depths of my heart was her wisdom about who we are, not what we wear.

She spoke on what is the heart of true fashion, it's style. Style is how God has uniquely made us. We are to robe ourselves like the queen we are in Christ. My favorite advice she gave was "it wasn't very good until Eve came on the scene"...isn't that so true? We as women add that special extra touch, the simple detail that makes things very good.

It is so easy to throw on the "mom outfit" of yoga pants and a t shirt with 3 day old spit up on it. But when we dress in a way that makes us feel good about ourselves, we feel better. 

When I had depression one of the things my dr. told me was to get dressed everyday. It is so true if I stay home in frumpy garb I feel frumpy. If I put on some jeans, a cute top, earrings and lipstick (I never leave the house without lipstick) then I feel pretty, confident, and able to tackle my day.

Dressing our bodies is so hard after motherhood…I used to be able to grab any size 8 and rock it (also I went braless all the time like some freak from an 80s music video, but that's another topic). Now I have to try on jeans from a size 12-16, one may fit, if I'm lucky. But we have to remember to dress the body we have not the body from 10 years ago. And it isn't our bodies problem, it's the clothes. Our bodies are strong and capable and we need to embrace where we are today.

It was so funny I had a girls night the other night with some other MOPS Mamas and we all had on the recommended style from Kim; pants, cropped jacket, and statement necklace. It really can be that easy. Find what works for you, find what makes you feel good, and you will look so fabulous Mama!

"Fashion fades, only style remains the same." Coco Chanel

-Summur

No comments:

Post a Comment